At Lonza, we invest in great people. We encourage our employees to challenge themselves and we offer an environment that fosters creativity and success. Headquartered in Basel, Switzerland, we operate production, R&D, and business sites around the world, including Europe, North America, and Asia.
We strive to be the leading supplier using science and technology to improve the quality of life.
We work with passion, using advanced technologies, to transform life science into new possibilities for our customers.
Do you want to help us as we shape the future of this great organization?
Job Description Summary
The role will be accountable to deliver measurable results by delivering science, technology and innovation in parenteral drug product areas, including formulation, drug delivery, process technology, manufacturing, analytical methods, primary packaging and devices.
Working closely with the commercial development and technical leaders from the DPS service areas to understand and evaluate projects aligned to improve bottom line Business Units results.
Accountable for representing and delivering technical solutions to meet industry demands for the development and manufacture of innovative and patient-focusses parenteral drug products and to establish Lonza as a preferred leading supplier in this field.
Leadership Behaviours and principals
- Strategy definition and intellect for development of effective practical solutions.
- Inventiveness and problem solving skills to develop new and expand current technical capabilities
- Enthusiasm and motivation for working and solving very challenging problems.
- Effective communication skills to get company support
- Some commercial knowledge of the CDO/CMO Businesses
- Very broad and detailed technology competence in parenteral (biologics, peptides, conjugates) formulation, drug delivery, process technology, manufacturing, analytical methods, primary packaging and devices.
- Strategic planning and execution of complex projects together with principals scientists from the business
- Organizational alignment and effectiveness
- High ability to work in a matrix and project environment
- Effective written and verbal communication
Skills / Knowledge / Qualifications
- This position requires a minimum of a Ph.D. in pharmacy, biochemistry, biology, chemistry, or a related field and at least 10 years’ experience in the field of parenteral drug product development and commercialization.
- Demonstrated line management responsibility, either direct or matrix, and proven ability to develop high quality scientific teams.
- Ability to develop, coach and mentor direct reports
- Proven ability to effectively work in a team to deliver to agreed timelines and milestones, with a track record of developing and motivating staff.
- Extensive knowledge of biologics formulation, pharmaceutical requirements, analytics, processing and manufacturing, primary packaging and device technologies and patient interfaces
- Leadership skills with demonstrated / proven track record of delivering sustained R&D/T improvements
- High level of communication and presentation skills
Job content and activities
- Reporting to the Head of CDL R & D and dotted line to the Head of Drug product services (DPS)
- Interact with external partners (universities or companies) to identify innovation opportunities and drive potential innovation programs
- Collaborate with various scientists within Lonza / DPS working on a variety of parenteral Drug Product Research and Technology projects.
- To provide scientific and technical guidance to develop new Drug Product Services solutions and innovations
- To provide leadership to direct and indirect reports through pro-active performance management, mentoring and coaching.
- Represent Drug product services in Research & Development internal forums including science leadership meetings
- Drives, leads and develops the Pharma&Biotech technical approach to parenteral drug products in order to ensure that Pharma&Biotech stays ahead of the curve
- Coordinates strategic relationships with scientific leaders across Pharma&Biotech
- Supervises and coordinates strategic relationships with commercial partners and academic collaborators, together with technical leaders from the business
Lonza. The place to Go, Stay and Grow.