At Lonza, we invest in great people. We encourage our employees to challenge themselves and we offer an environment that fosters creativity and success. Headquartered in Basel, Switzerland, we operate production, R&D, and business sites around the world, including Europe, North America, and Asia.
We strive to be the leading supplier using science and technology to improve the quality of life.
We work with passion, using advanced technologies, to transform life science into new possibilities for our customers.
Do you want to help us as we shape the future of this great organization?
Job Description SummaryFor the setting up and operating our new large-scale mammalian manufacturing plant, we are looking for a Head of Upstream Manufacturing.
The incumbent manages the operational activities of a manufacturing unit with overall responsibility of manufacturing execution with regard to safety, quality and on-time-in full delivery. He/She leads a team of production leaders, supervisors and specialists and is accountable for the performance and results of the assigned area.
- Manages a team of production leaders (chemists/biologists), supervisors and specialists with full responsibility for all aspects of human resource management such as qualification, development, coaching, hiring, pay decisions and discipline issues.
- Responsible for resource and vacation planning of the assigned team members with regard to the fulfillment of all production orders.
- Ensures a good information exchange from the upper management levels to his/her team and the other way around through regularly team meetings and escalation of production issues.
- Implements the Lonza culture via openness for change and new ideas, cooperative teamwork and continuous improvement even outside his/her own area of responsibility
- Working as production expert in Capital investment projects for building and commissioning of the manufacturing units. Main responsible for delivering all input required for the specific set-up, commissioning and qualification of the manufacturing suites and equipment including automation.
- Responsible for implementation of the relevant GMP documents for the respective area.
- As a member of the Manufacturing Leadership Team responsible for all aspect of general production management such as housekeeping, staff behavior, training activities and control of general processes and installations.
- Responsible for regular performance control such as weekly report, dashboard, Hoshin Board and other reporting tools incl. definition of appropriate actions for performance enhancing.
- Deputy of the head of manufacturing during his/her absence.
- Representing the operational area in customer meetings, audits and regulatory inspections.
- Accountable for the execution of all production campaigns in his/her manufacturing unit with regard to safety, quality and delivery.
- First contact person in case of production issues in his/her manufacturing unit according to the common escalation guidelines. Supports MSAT and production teams with expertise in solution finding and trouble shooting.
- Executes risk analysis and manufacturing work place inspections.
- Ensures the technical availability of the manufacturing suites and equipment through fulfillment of all safety, environmental and compliance requirements.
- Responsible for the approval of technical change request for his/her manufacturing unit
- Executes innovation and improvement projects comprising general manufacturing aspects for the production plant.
- Ensures a high level of technical and process standardization within the production plant.
Qualifications and skills required:
- BS / MS or related degrees. Preferred area of study: Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Biotechnology, Bioengineering or related disciplines
- At least 5-10 years of experience in biotechnical manufacturing preferably in leadership positions (e. g. production biotechnolologist, MSAT process expert, engineering)
- Broad biotechnology expertise and/or knowledge in biotechnical engineering.
- Profound GMP knowledge
- Fluent in English
- Understanding of business and financial processes
- Strong leadership skills
- Very good communication skills and interaction with all kinds of interfaces within the organization
- Strong team orientation and solution-oriented
- Structured, focused and well-organized working attitude
- Open-minded for new ideas and suggestions
- Agile, highly motivated and dynamic drive
EducationBachelors: Biotechnology, Masters: Biotechnology
Work ExperienceManagement (Intermediate), Operations (Intermediate), Quality (Intermediate)